The Belarusian Institute for Strategic Studies (BISS), due to tenure expiration, announces a vacancy for the position of academic director.
Appointed by the Shareholders’ Meeting and accountable to the BISS Board, the academic director, together with administrative director and the Board, supervises BISS strategy development and implementation, and is responsible for overall efficient functioning of the Institute and fulfillment of its academic agenda.
Academic director will perform the following major duties:
- To plan, coordinate, and supervise the development of the Institute’s research programs;
- To oversee books, articles, and policy papers produced by the BISS staff, to design and enforce academic standards for publications, to maintain quality control;
- To ensure integration of the Institute’s various programs, i.e. research, regular products etc.;
- To represent the Institute in relations with stakeholders, donors, media, and public, at academic and expert platforms;
- To supervise the preparation of the Institute’s books, articles, policy papers, and other materials;
- To supervise BISS fellows, trainees, and other participants of the BISS research and public policy programs who are not directly affiliated with the Institute.
Together with the administrative director, academic director is responsible for:
- Planning of the Institute’s activities, preparation of budget;
- Supervision of the Institute’s fundraising , i.e. development of the project proposals;
- Communication with donors, stakeholders and partner organization;
- Participation in PR-activities, i.e. overseeing of the academic content of the Institute’s website, social networks and the media.
- Supervision of the BISS’ events preparation (presentations, conferences, roundtables, etc.).
§ To hold a PhD degree in social sciences. Candidates with a degree from a recognized Western university will be given preference during the selection procedure.
§ To have at least five-year work experience at an academic department, research institute or think-tank
§ To be fluent in Belarusian, Russian, and English (being able to communicate freely, write academic texts, proofread, translate from and to these languages);
§ To have expertise in “Belarusian theme”: politics, economic, society.
The candidate should be ready to:
- Work in a dynamic young team;
- Work under author’s contract with the Lithuanian BISS;
- Face high uncertainty and inability of BISS to guarantee long-term contracts with ensured working conditions;
- Work under paying conditions, dependent on the Institute’s project activities.
The interested candidate should submit:
- Full academic CV;
- Motivation letter;
- Outline plan for BISS development, including possible research plans (up to 3 pages);
no later than January 25, 2017 to the following address: email@example.com. The proposals sent after January 25 will not be considered.
Shortlisted candidates will be notified and invited for an interview in February 2017.